Re: [cups-devel] CUPS License Change Coming

(Dropping cups-devel@, adding debian-printing@ and ftpmasters)

Le mercredi, 8 novembre 2017, 22.53:51 h CET Ben Finney a écrit :
> Didier 'OdyX' Raboud <odyx@debian.org> writes:
> > Is Apple going with "pristine" Apache License 2.0 [1] without further
> > exceptions?
>
> That's an important question. I don't think anyone on this forum can
> answer it better than an official answer from Apple Corp. Who has asked
> it of them?

Apparently they are, see the commit [0]
> CUPS is developed by Apple Inc. and distributed as open source software
> under the Apache License, Version 2.0.  Significant contributions to CUPS
> must be licensed to Apple using the Apple Contributor Agreement:

As I understand it, there are two alternative visions here:
* either we consider libcups* and friends covered by the system library
exception; but this has not traditionally been Debian's stance; and we still
refuse to apply that exception to OpenSSL;
* … or we don't, and that change effectively forbids linking GPL2-only
software to dynamicall link against libcups* and friends.

If the latter applies (and I'm afraid it will), how should we encode that in
the packaging, add Breaks in the source package against all GPL2-only reverse
dependencies, and wait+hope that they get fixed one day ? That seems only
realistic in experimental.

@ftpmasters: is the above aligned with your line of thought ? As another
question for you; can I force CUPS to go through NEW, as the license change is
radical ?

Cheers,
    OdyX

[0] https://github.com/apple/cups/commit/
e310189747c161ac6e737eedadf8f45d11bf2253