Re: DFSG + Hack typeface license with transition to proposed new source file build in Debian package

Florian Weimer writes ("Re: DFSG + Hack typeface license with transition to proposed new source file build in Debian package"):
> Ian Jackson:
> > Debian is not likely to accept a restriction on modifying glyphs.  We
> > consider that Debian (and its downstreams and users) must be free to
> > make changes - even changes that upstreams disapprove of.
>
> We have historically accepted restrictions like these:
> | The programs for computer Modern are in the public domain, and readers
> | may freely generate and hand-tune their own fonts using the algorithms
> | of this book.  However, use of the names is restricted:  Any fonts
> | whose names cmr10 or cmbx12 or ... are identical to the standard font
> | names of this book should be fully compatible with the fonts defined
> | here; i.e., fonts with the same names are supposed to have precisely
> | the same character coding schemes and precisely the same font metric
> | files.

I don't think this is very illuminating for the Hack typeface.

The problematic restriction I said Debian was not likely to accept was
one which forbids, entirely, the creation of derivative modified
glyphs.  That is not present in the text above.

A complete discussion of the status of the TeX font licence is outside
the scope of this memo :-).

Ian.