Re: Cisco EIGRP patent licence and the GPLv2 licence

On Tue, 4 Jul 2017, Walter Landry wrote:

 "For any claims of any Cisco patents that are necessary for
 practicing
  the Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol specification
  <draft-savage-eigrp-01>, any party will have the right to use any such
  patent claims under reasonable, non-discriminatory terms, with
  reciprocity, to implement and fully comply with the specification.

This means that Cisco's patent grant only applies if you are
implementing EIGRP.  So that feels incompatibile.

With that said, the usual approach that Debian follows is that if the patent is not being actively enforced, Debian does not worry about them. Otherwise, Debian would not be able to ship anything. Since you claim later

It's hard to know. Cisco do have a history of initiating patent enforcement actions though. E.g.:

  https://blogs.cisco.com/news/protecting-innovation-itc-945-initial-determination

How much that would concern one would depend on one's situation.

Personally, I don't have an issue with that style of licence cause it only limits those who want to sue over patents. Which seems fine to me.

What I've gotten from those exchanges suggests there is little reason
to be concerned about the Cisco patent or the licence.

then it would be fine for Debian.

That's on the concern about the patent and its licence. Which is where most people I've talked to stop the analysis. However, the concern that's been raised is on the other side.

The concern raised is about the /copyright/ holders in the other GPLv2+ licensed code, on which the EIGRP GPLv2 code depends. The concern is those other copyright holders could object that the EIGRP code that depends on their code is patent encumbered, with potential royalties, and hence incompatible with the licence they gave on the use of their code.

At a practical level, are those concerns founded, and what degree of caution on such concerns is warranted? Both in terms of reasonable protection against hostile copyright holders (e.g. SCO situations where copyrights fall into wrong hands) and deference to the wishes of friendly copyright holders who object to patent encumberances; but without unreasonably restricting others' ability to distribute code they have written?

(On whether concerns are founded: The brief informal legal advice I've had seemed to suggest maybe - your reply above seems to too; what I can't get clarity on is that issue of the reasonable degree of caution, and the appropriate balance between different interests).

regards,
--
Paul Jakma | paul@jakma.org | @pjakma | Key ID: 0xD86BF79464A2FF6A
Fortune: