Re: unknown license for package/debian/* in d/copyright in adopted package

Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> Do you agree that my mail exchange as found in the sympathy package is
> a good example of how to ask these questions, and how to record the
> answers ?

Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> I meant this, which I provided a link to earlier:
>   https://browse.dgit.debian.org/sympathy.git/tree/COPYING.emails

Yes, that's a good record of the conversation.

It'd be better IMO if it included each message's Message-ID field, or
some other URI for each message so that the parties in the conversation
can later verify that it matches their own record of the discussion.

Are there messages in that file that could be removed? I typically try
to get a single message from the copyright holder, that contains an
explicit and unambiguous grant of a specific license.

Often that isn't forthcoming as clearly as we might like, because of how
the correspondence unfolds. I appreciate that you pressed for that in
the discussion for ‘sympathy’. Maybe that's just an example of a case
where no one message will clearly show the grant of license, and the
whole set needs to be examined.

--
 \        “If it ain't bust don't fix it is a very sound principle and |
  `\      remains so despite the fact that I have slavishly ignored it |