Re: Checking the ARL's scheme for releasing software

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 14:15:14 +0000 Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL
(US) wrote:

> Good morning, my name is Cem Karan.

Hello!

[...]
> I have been in discussion with the Open Source Initiative (OSI,
> https://opensource.org/) on their license-discuss mailing list to develop a
> method that ARL can use to safely and legally release ARL-developed code as
> Open Source.  Marc Jones suggested on that list that I contact Debian to see
> what Debian thoughts are.

Thanks for doing so.

What follows are my own personal opinions.
Please note that I am *not* an official member of the Debian Project
(I am just an external contributor) and I cannot speak on behalf of the
Project.

[...]
> we'd like to use a scheme that was
> suggested on code.mil:
>
> 1) All code that does not have copyright attached is released under the
> Creative Commons Zero (CC0,
> https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/).

This looks fine to me, with the only possible caveat that CC0
explicitly refuses to waive patent rights:
https://opensource.org/faq#cc-zero

> 2) ARL-controlled projects choose an OSI-approved license to accept
> contributions under (e.g. Apache 2.0).  If a contribution has copyright
> attached, then the contributors must license the contribution under the
> OSI-approved license to the ARL.  Contributions that have no copyright
> attached must be licensed to the ARL under CC0.

OK.

> 3) The works are combined and distributed with a note similar to the
> following: "The portions of this work that do not have copyright attached are
> distributed under the CC0 license.  The portions of this work that have
> copyright attached are distributed under the Apache 2.0 license."

Looks clear enough to me.

> Will this scheme meet Debian's idea of Open Source software?

Personally, I think this scheme would be suitable to comply with the
DFSG.

Obviously, I don't know what other debian-legal regulars think, nor
whether the Debian FTP Masters will consider works released according
to this scheme as acceptable for the Debian main archive...

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/
 There's not a second to spare! To the laboratory!