Re: License for code comments in postgis package

It appears that redistribution of that
document in its entirety is permitted, however nothing is said about partial
extracts.

Partial extracts (in the code), to which those extracts **reference**
back to the original document, fall under FAIR use.

Do we (and upstream) have permission to distribute the resulting source code (as GPL or otherwise)?

Yes. Per the copyright notice, it retains the ability to be freely redistributed.

Should Joseph O'Rouke be listed in the debian/copyright file?

If you include a copy of that FAQ within the package (which you should), then yes.