Re: ad hoc license: is it DFSG-conformant ?

Le Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 01:39:12PM +1100, Ben Finney a écrit :
> Jerome BENOIT <calculus@rezozer.net> writes:
>
> > On 11/03/16 21:15, Riley Baird wrote:
> > > That licence is fine.
> > >
> > So now step forward in peace.
>
> Before achieving peace, please see the rest of the thread in
> ‘debian-legal’; I disagree with Riley's assessment.

Hi Ben,

this ad-hoc license is obviously not of the same quality as some general
license written with lawyer advice, but I think that the missing explicit
permission is a honest imperfection, especially that the software has already
been redistributed for years, and that its relicensing was explicitely done to
further facilitate the redistribution and incorporation in larger works.  The
license that we are discussing allows redistribution, and one person receiving
the sources will receive them with a copy of the license, so the author
probably considers it obvious that the recipient can use the software under
that license, and that this does not have to be explicitely written.

In my opinion, this software is DFSG-free, even if its license text could be
improved or replaced by a more general, frequently used and well-understood
license

Have a nice week-end,

--
Charles Plessy