Re: is igmpproxy dfsg compliant?

On Sat, Nov 26, 2016 at 12:46:45PM +0100, Pali Rohár wrote:
> On Thursday 24 November 2016 20:07:43 you wrote:
> > > I do not know, but mrouted was relicensed to BSD in 2003 and
> > > igmpproxy started in 2005 (according to year in source files). And
> > > because BSD is compatible with GPL, you can relicense those parts
> > > to GPL and adds your own GPL code to it. Then whole package can be
> > > redistributed only under GPL...
> >
> > Of course, you can *not* do this.
>
> Why? I think you must redistribute whole program as GPL. Section 2. of
> GPLv2 contains:
>
> ===
> But when you distribute the same sections as part of a whole which is a
> work based on the Program, the distribution of the whole must be on the
> terms of this License, whose permissions for other licensees extend to
> the entire whole, and thus to each and every part regardless of who
> wrote it.
> ===
>
> This does not mean that some parts cannot be still distributed under
> other license (e.g. mrouted parts under Stanford or BSD), but from that
> section I understood that whole igmpproxy can be distributed only under
> GPLv2.

That's not what the license says. I know that licensing can be confusing
and tedious and I'm not very good at expressing myself in english...
please read the official GPL FAQ, it is very good and it may help you to
understand better the meaning of the GPL license:

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html