Re: Is ISC License considered DFSG free?

Jari Aalto <jari.aalto@cante.net> writes:

> The agrep software is currently in non-free. Latest code
> appears to have moved under ISC License[1]

Thank you for including the full text of the grant of license, and the
license conditions.

> [1] http://webglimpse.net/sublicensing/licensing.html
>
>     (...) Webglimpse and Glimpse are available under the ISC
>     open source license (...)
>
>     Anyone distributing the Glimpse code should include the
>     following license:
>
>     Copyright 1996, Arizona Board of Regents on behalf of The
>     University of Arizona.
>
>     Permission to use, copy, modify, and/or distribute this
>     software for any purpose with or without fee is hereby
>     granted, provided that the above copyright notice and this
>     permission notice appear in all copies.
>
>     [WARRANTY DISCLAIMER IN SHOUTY CAPITALS]

All required DFSG freedoms are granted by this text.

The conditions do not impose any non-free restrictions.

By my reading, the grant and conditions are exactly equivalent to the
well-understood Expat license grant and conditions.

This work, provided its complete license grant and conditions was only
the above text, would IMO be uncontroversially DFSG-free.

Thank you for pursuing effective software freedom for Debian recipients
of this work.

--
 \       “Faith is the determination to remain ignorant in the face of |
  `\                 all evidence that you are ignorant.” —Shaun Mason |