Re: Re: Missing changelog file

> Rock Storm <rockstorm@gmx.com> writes:
>
> > I would like to package a program into Debian that is distributed
> > under a GPL-3 license but currently has no changelog file.
>
> Is the work derived from a different copyright holder's work? Was
> that work received under condition of the GPL also?

I am not sure that I understand this question, the derived work would
be the packaging and the "original" software is published under the
GPL-3 in [1]. There are no modifications or derived works in between
the "original" (or what I called "upstream") and the packaging.

[1] https://github.com/kliment/Printrun

The "missing" changelog file is the file detailing the differences
between the current upstream version and the previous ones.

> > Upstream does not [deliver a changelog] with the latest release and
> > I’ve been told that this is a requirement for software licensed
> > under this kind of license.
>
> Told by whom? Can we see a URL to that online, so we can see the
> person explain the requirement?

Technically what was suggested was only the posibility of the upstream
changelog file being a requirement to be compliant with the DFSG. What
I was told was to consult these matter here for better advise.

The question arose because lintian reports the following warning "no-
upstream-changelog" [2]

[2] https://lintian.debian.org/tags/no-upstream-changelog.html ;

> > Is the existence of an upstream changelog file mandatory in order
> > to distribute this software under the GPL-3?
>
> GPL v3 §5 states conditions for receiving a work with GPLv3 license,
> and then deriving your own work from it. (In that section, “you”
> means the person who makes modifications and distributes the derived
> work.)
>
> GPL v3 §5.a. requires that “The work must carry prominent notices
> stating that you modified it, and giving a relevant date.”
>
> This condition is conventionally satisfied by including the
> end-user-facing change log as a document in the work.
>
> > Will it be compliant with the DFSG to incorporate this software
> > into Debian without an upstream changelog file?
>
> If upstream has themselves derived from a prior work under the
> conditions of GPL, then I think they violate the license if they do
> not include a log of changes made.

If I don't get it wrong, in this case, upstream work is not "derived"
from another one, so it is ok if they don't include a file detailing
the changes made from one version to another.

Nonetheless, it is the debian package the one that must duly include a
file stating the changes made, the debian/changelog file.

Thanks a lot,
Alvaro