Re: Code in lwIPv6 library under advertising requirement

On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 19:34:31 +1100 Ben Finney wrote:

> Howdy all,

Hello Ben!   :-)

[...]
> By my understanding of copyright as the Debian project interprets the
> conventions, a work subject to several sets of license conditions is
> subject to the total set of restrictions.

Indeed, this is also my own understanding of copyright laws.

(With the usual warning that I am not a lawyer, and I do not speak on
behalf of the Debian Project...)

[...]
> So is a work under conditions of the BSD 4-clause license with its
> “obnoxious advertising clause”, or other license conditions with an
> equivalent clause, DFSG-free? I think the answer is no.

I disagree with you here: the 4-clause BSD license includes a clause
that is indeed obnoxious, but *not* non-free.
It meets the DFSG, as far as I can tell. It's not a recommended
license, but it is acceptable for Debian main and has been actually
accepted several times in Debian main, as far as I know.

> Does this mean the ‘lwipv6’ work is non-free with the inclusion of files
> as per the example above? There are quite a few of them.

I think the issue here is that the 4-clause BSD license is
GPL-incompatible.

I see three possible solution strategies (in order of decreasing
desirability):

A) the copyright holders for the 4-clause BSD licensed parts are
   contacted and asked to drop the obnoxious advertising clause for the
   code under consideration; if they agree, everything becomes fine and
   GPL-compatible

or

B) the 4-clause BSD licensed parts are independently reimplemented or
   replaced by suitable alternatives under GPL-compatible terms

or

C) the copyright holders for the GPLv2 licensed parts are contacted and
   asked to re-license their code under terms that are compatible with
   the various BSD licenses used in the work (including the 4-clause BSD
   license); if they agree, the incompatibilities are solved

I hope this helps.
Bye.

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/
 There's not a second to spare! To the laboratory!