Re: Are these copyright notices compatible with GPLv2+?

Guilherme Brondani Torri dijo [Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 02:01:06PM +0100]:
> (...)
> //3. Users agree to obey all government restrictions governing
> //redistribution or export of the software.

Others already jumped at this. I'll just point it is a
non-sequitur. First, it does not say _which_ government. Mine and
yours are probably different, and have different guidelines,
thresholds and laws, and obeying _all_ governments... is beyond
legal. I cannot simultaneously obey two countries which are
cross-embargoed, just to cite an example on export restrictions.

Besides this, having a license or contract stipulate "you must follow
the law" is useless. If I'm doing something illegal, why would I be
bothered by the terms of a free software license agreement?

> //4. The Users agree to reproduce any copyright notice which appears on
> //the software and documentation on any copy or modification of such
> //made available to others.

Oh, and this might be (I don't know) an "advertising clause", what
made the 4-clause BSD license incompatible with the GPL.