Re: Non-Free SGML entity files

Their collective e-mail address is <ftpmaster@debian.org>, as listed in
https://www.debian.org/intro/organization

> > Among other things, I noticed that also fbreader includes files under
> > this same license:
> > https://tracker.debian.org/media/packages/f/fbreader/copyright-0.12.10dfsg-10
>
> This is what one of the files mentioned in the fbreader copyright file
> says:
>
> <!-- Copyright (C) 2001, 2002 Organization for the Advancement of Structured
>      Information Standards (OASIS).
>
>      $Id: ISOpub.ent,v 1.3 2002/12/13 22:47:23 adam Exp $
>
>      Permission to use, copy, modify and distribute this entity set
>      and its accompanying documentation for any purpose and without
>      fee is hereby granted in perpetuity, provided that the above
>      copyright notice and this paragraph appear in all copies. The
>      copyright holders make no representation about the suitability of
>      the entities for any purpose. It is provided "as is" without
>      expressed or implied warranty.
>
>      Please direct all questions, bug reports, or suggestions for
>      changes to the docbook@lists.oasis-open.org mailing list. For more
>      information, see http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/.
>
>      Derived, in part, from:
>
>        * iso-pub.gml
>
>            Copyright (C) 1986 International Organization for Standardization
>            Permission to copy in any form is granted for use with
>            conforming SGML systems and applications as defined in
>            ISO 8879, provided this notice is included in all copies.
>
>        * http://www.tug.org/applications/jadetex/unicode.xml
>
>        * ftp://ftp.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/VENDORS/MISC/SGML.TXT
>
>      Please use the following formal public identifier to identify it:
>
>        ISO 8879:1986//ENTITIES Publishing//EN//XML
> -->
>
> It seems that they think that the files can be relicenced. Perhaps
> because the derivation is trivial enough?

Maybe they obtained a permission to derive those files from
iso-pub.gml, I don't know.
It's actually unclear to me, as it is not explicitly explained: they
say the file is derived in part from a file with no permission to
modify, so it seems that the derived file is legally undistributable
(copyright violation).
But, as I said, maybe there's more than what is written there...

Any other debian-legal regular willing to share his/her opinion?

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/
 There's not a second to spare! To the laboratory!