Re: debian status on using the PHP license for pear/pecl extensions

On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 11:30 PM, Ángel González <keisial@gmail.com> wrote:
If the current FAQ entry related to PHP hasn't changed since http://web.archive.org/web/20051016231155/http://ftp-master.debian.org/REJECT-FAQ.html, I don't think the entry, and most importantly the phrase « That license, up to the 3.x which is actually out, is not really usable for anything else than PHP itself» can be applied to license v3.01 released *after* that.

IMHO the ftp masters shouldn't be applying such FAQ entry and have to reevaluate the new license instead.

I suppose/hope they re-evaluted it when Ondřej contacted them regarding https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=752629 but it seems that the discussion ended with the same result:

I did have a quite long and extensive chat with FTP Masters
and our conclusion was that PHP License (any version) is
suitable only for software that comes directly from "PHP Group",
that basically means only PHP (src:php5) itself.
I would like to see those arguments for interpreting the license that way and what else could we do to make it possible for debian to distribute pear/pecl extensions published under pear|pecl.php.net under the PHP license.

(I should note that someone slightly edited it in the meantime, adding a comma and changing its → it's; so maybe they *did* review 3.01 and found nothing else worth changing)

those were changed by this commit, which fixed other typos and punctuation mistakes done by a Luca who is an FTP Assistant:

commit a735b930272fbe56e602fa2d0b23288a55256ba3