Re: TPP 14.17

hmm, i would equate copying with distribtion, but i guess im old and rusty;

Where am i going wrong with this line of thinking

1. The GPL requires the ability to distribute source code to those you distribute binaries to.
2. This clause says; No Party (Country) can require the transfer of ... source code of software owned by a person of another Party (Country) as a condition for the ... distribution ... of such software in its territory.

Assume i copy a Debian install CD and give it to my neighbour, i am obligated to make the Source code available to them for the GPL'ed parts.
The source code will be "software owned be a person of another Party"

So no party can require me to uphold my obligation make source code available in its territory.
Meaning, nobody can force me to give the source code to my neighbour.

On Sat, Nov 7, 2015 at 11:15 AM, Walter Landry <wlandry@caltech.edu> wrote:
Glenn McGrath <glenn.l.mcgrath@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all;
>
> The TPP has a clause that seems to me to be a direct attack on copyleft
> licences.
>
> Hoping someone can tell me i am wrong, and everything will be ok.
>
> Article 14.17: Source Code
> 1. No Party shall require the transfer of, or access to, source code
> of software owned by a person of another Party, as a condition for
> the import, distribution, sale or use of such software, or of
> products containing such software, in its territory.

It does not cover modification or copying.  You can still require
source code if you want to modify and/or copy.  So I think it is fine.

Cheers,
Walter Landry