Re: Source files

On Mon, 19 Oct 2015 22:43:59 +0200
Francesco Poli <invernomuto@paranoici.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Oct 2015 11:00:19 +1100 Riley Baird wrote:
>
> [...]
> > We can declare that the source did exist, but it doesn't anymore.
>
> I don't think so.

Why not? "The preferred form of modification among those that have
existed" is just as good as "The preferred form of modification among
those that currently exist".

> > People use open-source software for a variety of reasons. Some people
> > use it for security reasons. Auditing a program where all copies of the
> > C++ source no longer exist is exactly as difficult as auditing the
> > program where all copies of the C++ source are kept secret by the
> > maintainer.
>
> This may be true, but a program should *not* be declared non-free, just
> because it is insecure or difficult to audit.

Being insecure shouldn't be a reason for a program to be declared
non-free, but being unreasonably difficult to understand should be.

Otherwise, the distinction between proprietary and open-source would
be academic, both users and developers seeing no practical difference
between the two.