Re: GPL "+" question

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 03:09:34PM +0200, Ole Streicher wrote:
> Same for me. However: the (L)GPL allows even an unmodified
> redistribution under a later license.

This is key -- redistribution. It doesn't change the license. If I get
this file after you say it's GPLv3, it's still LGPLv2.1+ to me if I
remove it from other works that change the distribution terms (unless
it's been modified, in which case the licensing of the work on the whole
changes, and yadda yadda yadda)

I originally thought there was a different question being asked; sorry
about that (the terms used and not looking at the source didn't help :))

> It is up to upstream to decide
> whether he chooses the original or a later one. And since I take these
> files from upstream, not from the original author, I am bound to his
> decision, independently whether the files are modified or not.

Unmodified, the license of the works is unchanged, even if we
*distribute* under a different one.

--
 .''`.  Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org>  |   Proud Debian Developer
: :'  : 4096R / 8F04 9AD8 2C92 066C 7352  D28A 7B58 5B30 807C 2A87