Re: Non-Free SGML entity files

Hi,

Let me comment as the apparent current maintainer of the sgml-data
packahge.

On Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at 08:18:06AM -0500, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:
> In that copyright file I see an email (did anyone followup)?
>
> At 12:51 PM 3/22/99 -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

Adam was the original maintaner.

> >Hello. I have the responsibility of assessing the current copyright
> >of W3C DTDs accompanying your specifications, on behalf of the Debian
> >project <URL:http://www.debian.org/>. Interesting question Adam!
> >I would think that the W3C is
> >happy to allow derivative DTDs so long as they don't represent
> >themselves as W3C standards? If so, would it be possible to get
> >clarification about the licensing and rights granted for DTDs?
>
> You are right with respect to our general approach. I suspect that as long as
> the DOCTYPE is different from our own, and they attribute it as a work derived
> from W3C, we'd give permission. Let me bounce this off a few folks here, and
> I'll get you a definitive answer shortly.
>
> On Nov 30, 2015 10:01 PM, <stressware2@ruggedinbox.com> wrote:
>
>     > [C]an someone reply with a bad source package (or d/copyright file)
>     > that we can evaluate in main?
>
>     Here is sgml-data's copyright file:
>     <http://ftp-master.metadata.debian.org/changelogs//main/s/sgml-data/
>     sgml-data_2.0.10_copyright>.
>
>     Here is the source of sgml-data:
>     <http://http.debian.net/debian/pool/main/s/sgml-data/
>     sgml-data_2.0.10.tar.xz>.
>     Offending files are in sgml/entities/sgml-iso-entities*/. Also, files
>     in xml/entities/xml-iso-entities-8879.1986 are derived from files with
>     the same licence.
>
>     The files and files derived from them are in other packages as well.

I know:
We had netscape in main. (Now, no more)
We had afio in main (Recently it is in non-free)
We have moved many RFC and some of the GNU info to non-free.
We still have sgml-data in main.

I kind of remember some one told me there is a FREE alternative package.

Untill we find out if code in question is copyrightable and there is
good aternmative path, we need to be careful.

Regards,

Osamu