Re: Is mpage DFSG compatible?

Le Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 06:23:50PM -0200, Eriberto Mota a écrit :

> When migrating the debian/copyright file to 1.0 format, I did a full
> revision in source code and I found two doubtful situations for me.
>
> The first issue is the license used by mpage:
>
>  *     Permission is granted to anyone to make or distribute verbatim
>  *     copies of this document as received, in any medium, provided
>  *     that this copyright notice is preserved, and that the
>  *     distributor grants the recipient permission for further
>  *     redistribution as permitted by this notice.
>
> IMO, this license doesn't allow modify the source code. So, this
> license is inadequate.
>
> The second issue is the license of the Contrib/mfix/test.ps file:
>
> %  Copyright (c) 1986-89, ArborText, Inc.
> %  Permission to copy is granted so long as the PostScript code
> %  is not resold or used in a commercial product.

Hi Eriberto,

just a side comment since you already had a lot of good answers.

When encountering strange license terms, I always look for them in
codesearch.debian.net.  It can either suggest that the license is not
problematic (for instance if it is found in a large number of high-profile
packages), or it gives the opportunity to correct the error archive-wide.

In the case of mpage, the lines "distributor grants the recipient permission
for further" and "Permission to copy is granted so long as the PostScript code"
are not found in any other package; good !

Cheers,

Charles

--
Charles Plessy