Re: Disclaimers in submitted patches

On Mon, 16 Feb 2015, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Don Armstrong writes ("Re: Disclaimers in submitted patches"):
> > There's no real difference between a message with a disclaimer, and
> > one without.
>
> I think this depends on the text of the disclaimer (and perhaps on the
> jurisdiction).

The main difference would be if the disclaimer gave you a license.
Otherwise, a disclaimer claiming copyright is no different than the
status quo; whoever actually owns the copyright owns the copyright,
disclaimer or no disclaimer.

> > If the person authoring the patch grants a license (or the patch
> > cannot be covered by copyright), then there's no problem.

>  * The human being who wrote the patch may not own the copyright;
>  perhaps it is owned by their employer.

Yes; I really mean author in the "copyright owner" sense.

I never until now realized that the primary job of any emoticon is to
say "excuse me, that didn't make any sense." ;-P
 -- Cory Doctorow