Re: Python GPL-3+ program w/o OpenSSL exception using python-requests

On 18/01/15 05:14, W. Martin Borgert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> sorry, if this question has been discussed before.
> So far, I could not find a conclusive answer.
> Please Cc me.
>
> Python program or library "X" is licensed under GPL3+ without
> OpenSSL exception. "X" does use the python-requests library,
> which on load dynamically links the Python interpreter with the
> OpenSSL library. This is "X":
>
> """
> #!/usr/bin/python3
>
> __license__ = "GPL-3+ w/o OpenSSL exception"
>
> import os
> import subprocess
>
> import requests
>
> if __name__ == "__main__":
>     lsof = subprocess.Popen(["lsof", "-p", str(os.getpid())],
>                             stdout=subprocess.PIPE)
>     out, _ = lsof.communicate()
>     for s in out.decode().split("\n"):
>         if "/libssl.so." in s:
>             print(s)
> """
>
> As one can see, the process "X" links the OpenSSL library.
> Can "X" be distributed legally by Debian?

If you could make a version of python-requests with the OpenSSL parts
removed, then yes. Otherwise, no.

Also, if the writer of the module specifically states "w/o OpenSSL
exception", and then links to OpenSSL (like in the above example), then
I would be very suspicious.