Re: GPL is not an EULA

"Dimitrios Chr. Ioannidis" <d.ioannidis@nephelae.eu> writes:

>   it it possible to comment the following ?

You are presenting what appears to be an extensive quote from somewhere.
Can you provide a URL where we can read this in context?

> Is the "local RPC interaction" use of GPL'ed software not derivative
> work ?

Whether work BAR is, or is not, a derivative work from FOO is a matter
of copyright law. The chosen license can't change that.

The FSF has published explanations of what legal advice they have
received, but the nuances of exactly what constitutes deriving a work
under copyright law is a matter of considerable disagreement.

Especially, as illustrated by the text you quote, corporations try very
hard to find ways they can base their work on code under a copyleft
license, without invoking the copyleft license obliging them to
contribute the work back as free software.

--
 \      “Anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a |
  `\        finite world is either a madman or an economist.” —Kenneth |