Re: Public domain and DEP-5-compliant debian/copyright

Hi,

Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> wrote:

> I've been a primary proponent of that point of view, and I think it's
> probably correct. But I wouldn't claim it's *established*; no qualified
> legal expert has said anything so definite here, I believe.

OK, I see.

[...]

> I wouldn't want to assert whether a judge might consider some work too
> trivial to be covered by copyright. If you think it's an easy task, it's
> certainly safer to replace them if you want to relicense.

Sure.

> But there are also established examples of successfully relicensing
> works without getting explicit permission from every copyright holder of
> every portion of the work. So that's an option to explore also.

That's, uh... interesting. What were the conditions exactly? Is it that
some contributors could not be reached and it was assumed they wouldn't
disagree? Or maybe the copyright was assigned in some vague way such as
"the *** team" or "the participants to the *** mailing-list"?..

Thanks to all four for your answers, have a nice weekend!

--
Florent