Re: [PECL-DEV] Debian request to change the PHP license for Extensions

Am 27.06.2014 09:56, schrieb Ferenc Kovacs:
> I think they just consider our license troublesome for exts as it seems too
> specific for php-src, and they only want to avoid possible license
> infringement.

Just keep the scope of any possible PHP license change in mind.

You got one player, a consumer/redistributor, that developed a hiccup
only recently. And, you have many, many other players that arranged
themselves with todays PHP license over so many years. Licensing changes
affect not only consumers but also all contributors.

Any change would make literally hundrets of legal departement happy and
evaluate your ideas. Those legal departements begin their analysis on a
blank sheet of paper. They will not bother much, if at all, about the
input you got from your legal advisor.

In a perfect world, you could do some tiny text changes to the license
without much hassle. In reality, this is a monster topic. Any rush can
cause massive harm.

Ulf