Re: Artwork License for package in main

Dimitry Polivaev dijo [Wed, Jan 01, 2014 at 02:05:06AM +0100]:
> >Copyright != Licensing != Trademark usage
>
> Thank you very much. I want to prove my understanding:
>
> if we just declare and use some picture as our logo it identifies
> the project even if the picture is licensed as e.g. CC3+ by-sa and
> can be used by other people for all purposes not related to their
> identity.
>
> Correct? If it is true I would ask the artist to release his work
> under the CC license, and I would would even have a good argument
> for doing so because all distributions of this picture were also a
> kind of project advertisement.

As others have said... Things are not as easy as they might seem ;-)

Some things might suit you for your project, some might be fit for
Debian. Lets see if there's some common ground!

If you want to distribute your logo bu avoid its use for anything
besides your project, it can be achieved either by copyright or by
trademark - If it is by copyright, Debian cannot hold the file
(because all of the files we distribute in main have to be modifiable,
redistributable and usable for other ends). If your protect it by
trademark, we *probably* will not be able to carry it, because you
might say that it should only identify your work (so we are not free
to reuse it either).

And yes, the usage you suggest in this last mail *is* perfectly
acceptable for inclusion in Debian. Just as a nitpick, but one I'm not
going to fight over: I know ftpmasters are not fans of the CC
licensing schemes, but there is CC-licensed content in Debian Main,
and there is at least this:

  https://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses#Creative_Commons_Attribution_Share-Alike_.28CC-BY-SA.29_v3.0

  In contrast to the CC-SA 1.0 license, version 3.0 is considered to
  be compatible to the DFSG. In addition, the version 2.0 and 2.5 are
  NOT transitively compatible because of clause 4b, since that only
  allows redistribution of derivative works under later versions of
  the license.