Re: [PHP-QA] Debian and the PHP license

On 1 August 2014 17:59:11 CEST, Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>Similar situations often arise in relation to trademarks.  Our usual
>approach in such cases has been to rely on the informal assurances,
>and not seek any kind of formal trademark licence amendment.

I thought we relied on the fact that trademark law isn't as brain dead as copyright laws and actually allows honest description, functional uses and other things that we do.

Firefox's renaming was more to do with the trademark licence being used to try to force in a few non free files and restrict downstream autonomy IIRC.