Re: [PECL-DEV] Debian request to change the PHP license for Extensions

On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 09:56:04 +0200 Ferenc Kovacs wrote:

[...]
> I think they just consider our license troublesome for exts as it seems too
> specific for php-src, and they only want to avoid possible license
> infringement.

As far as I can say, the issue pointed out by the Debian Project is
exactly that some clauses (at least 3, 4, and 6 + some disclaimers) of
the PHP License v3.01 are inappropriate and/or troublesome for anything
that is not php-src.

Personally, I see one freeness issue even when the PHP License is
applied to php-src, but I failed to gain consensus on this within the
Debian Project.
Please note that I am _not_ a member of the Debian Project (I'm just an
external contributor) and I am _not_ speaking on behalf of the Debian
Project. My own personal analysis of the PHP License v3.01 was sent to
debian-legal back on 2005 [1].

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2005/11/msg00272.html

> I don't think that what they are doing is practical (I mean we don't even
> care/enforce about the don't use the php name part for example
> http://www.php-debugger.com/ is a debugger php extension), but we all know
> how considerate are the debian maintainers about licensing.

If you don't even care about clauses 3 or 4, and you don't even try to
enforce them, why don't you just drop them from the license?
You would save many people's time and avoid many licensing headaches...

Better yet: I would personally recommend to switch to a well known and
widely adopted general purpose (DFSG-compliant) license.
For instance you could elect the Apache License v2.0 [2] as the next
version (4.0) of the PHP License.

[2] https://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.txt

If you decide so, you will get multiple advantages:

  * adopting a well vetted license saves a bunch of legal hassles for
both the copyright holders and all the (potential)
users/re-distributors who are already familiar with the terms and conditions

  * the Apache License v2.0 is compatible with the GNU GPL (even though
only with version 3, and not with version 2, unfortunately) [3]

[3] https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#apache2

  * the Apache License v2.0 is written w.r.t to a generic work and a
generic licensor, without any reference to a specific piece of
software, and may thus be adopted by PHP, PHP extensions, and other
programs, without worrying about distinguishing

Please note that a number of other projects have already switched from
the Apache License v1.1 [4] (or a similar license) to the Apache License
v2.0: the most notable examples are perhaps the Apache HTTPD Server and
the Subversion version control system.
The PHP License seems to be derived from a text which is somewhat
similar to the old Apache License v1.1 ...

[4] https://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-1.1

I hope this idea may help.
Bye.

--