PHP License on PHP extensions

Hi Debian Legal,

I would like to raise the question of PHP License on PHP PEAR/PECL
extensions again (<87oe86iy0x.fsf@vorlon.ganneff.de>).

There are quite a lot of extensions packaged under PHP License 3.01:

php-apcu
php-gearman
php-geoip
php-imagick
php-json
php-memcache
php-memcached
php-mysqlnd-ms
php-ps
php-redis
php-yac

(and this is just my local copy) and there seems to be some people
filling RC bugs on PHP extensions (#728196).

And upstream authors generally don't care much since they don't
understand the problem.

I do agree that packaging a non-PHP software under PHP license would be
silly, but personally I also don't really see a problem with software
distributed via pear.php.net and pecl.php.net (e.g. PHP extensions).
Applying PHP License 3.01 to PHP extensions doesn't seem to make their
distribution illegal.

Could we perhaps amend that rule to REJECT only the non-PHP
(non-PEAR/PECL) related software?

P.S.: Also please don't go to fill RC bugs on all packages listed up
there, pretty please.

I am inclined to make #728196 a wishlist bug, but I really don't want to
play BTS ping-pong wars.

Ondrej
--
Ondřej Surý <ondrej@sury.org>