Re: copyright years in the copyright file

> Similarly, debian/copyright is a best-effort summary of copyright
> holders, but if you actually want to track down the complete set of
> copyright holders for relicensing or whatever, the conservative
> assumption should be that you should use all available public
> information (revision control, ChangeLog, *and* copyright headers) to
> find everyone who *might* be a copyright holder.

Okay, I think that you're right. It is unwise to trust debian/copyright
entirely. If anyone were actually seriously considering using it in the
public domain, they would have to do much more checking anyway. Also, by
the time it expires, the copyright holder will probably update the year
of their copyrights.