Need more (legal) information

tags 741221 moreinfo
thanks

Hi,

[CCing debian-legal as I'd very much like their input on the matter]
Initial thread: http://bugs.debian.org/741221

Meijiko wrote:

> This Kanjidic contain SKIP code, SKIP code License is CC-BY-NC-SA.
> This license is not permit commercial use. Its non-free. (Violate DFSG 6)
>
> Note: Kanjidic license is CC-BY-SA, but "Kanjidic" is contain SKIP code, SKIP code license is CC-BY-NC-SA.

I'm not sure I can quite agree with your statement. See:

http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/kanjidic_doc.html#IREF08

The kanjidic documentation states (emphasis is mine):

> The following people have granted permission for material for which they hold copyright to be included in the files, _and distributed under the above conditions_, while retaining their copyright over that material:
>
> Jack HALPERN: The SKIP codes in the KANJIDIC file.

As I understand this, kanjidic and the SKIP codes it embeds are freely redistributable under the licensing terms of kanjidic.

That other licensing provisions for the SKIP codes may be made in other use cases (as detailed in Appendix F of the same document) seems quite irrelevant to me: you are questioning the DFSG-compliance of kanjidic (and by extension the package that includes it: tagainijisho) and as far as I can see, the whole content of the file `tagainijisho-[version number]/3rdparty/kanjidic2.xml', including the SKIP codes, are covered by the license stated at the top of the file: CC-BY-SA, which is DFSG-compliant.

Can someone from d-legal shed some insightful light on this?

Thanks,

T-Bone