Re: ledger-3 bundles non-dfsg software

Jamie Nguyen <j@jamielinux.com> writes:

> I opened a bug report for the 'ledger' package:

The salient part of that report, for the sake of discussion in this
forum:

* The ‘ledger’ package (source and binary) in Debian includes files
  ‘lib/sha1.h’ and ‘lib/sha1.cpp’.

* ‘debian/copyright’ does not mention those two files, implying that the
  main copyright notice and license applies. But that is not true: the
  files have a different copyright notice, and no license explicitly
  granted.

* Those two files appear to match a work without a DFSG-compliant license.

> I wanted to check on this list that my assessment is correct.

Given your description, I think you have identified a violation of the
DFSG. Thank you.

I will comment at the bug report <URL:https://bugs.debian.org/741740>.

--
 \      “[Entrenched media corporations will] maintain the status quo, |
  `\       or die trying. Either is better than actually WORKING for a |