Re: Unteralterbach visual novel (was: Re: Introduction)

Miriam Ruiz <miriam@debian.org> writes:

>> For that reason, I would advise not to include this game in Debian (and
>> not to spend your time on packaging it).  But note that I'm not setting
>> the rules here.  If you feel strongly that it adds value to the system,
>> feel free to explain why, and please also explain why you think that my
>> objections are less important than the contributions.
>>
>> Finally, I'm pleased to see someone here who is interested in packaging
>> visual novels.  I like that concept, and would certainly like to see
>> more of them in Debian.  Just not this one.
>
> Lots of thanks for your efforts analyzing it. I am so looking forward
> to having visual novels in Debian too. I haven't had time to even test
> this one (I can understand some German, but I'm not fluent in it, and
> that means quite an effort and time, as well as not really
> understanding everything that goes on), apart from seeing the graphics
> in the web page, and reading the comments in previous mails. I find
> your description of the game very disturbing, and I'm thinking that it
> may be even be triggering for some people.

I would like to avoid that problem by clearly labeling the game package,
similar to how fortunes-off is labeled (“Please do not install this
package if you or your users are offended by depictions of […]”).

I remember having read a page about a more formalized game labeling
effort of the Debian Games Team, but I could not find the web page.

> Having read your report, even if someone decided to package it, I
> wouldn't advise to include it in the archive without speaking
> beforehand with lawyers that could advice us on the possible risks.
> I'm not familiar enought with the law in different countries to know
> what's allowed or not, but from your analysis I fear that by
> distributing it we might be puting in risk the administrators of some
> of our mirrors, and I'd like to be sure that's not the case. On the
> other hand, it's almost impossible to make something that it's not
> illegal in at least one country in the world. For example, I would be
> a strong supporter of having LGBT-themed games in the archives, and
> they might not be legal in Russia.

I agree and consider it a bad thing if anyone suffers because of this.

How are these issues handled currently?

--
Nils Dagsson Moskopp // erlehmann
<http://dieweltistgarnichtso.net>