Re: Compliance with DFSG

On Fri, 07 Mar 2014 20:02:49 +1100 Ben Finney wrote:

[...]
> I would recommend the copyright holder should:

[...]
> * Correct the LGPL text to match the GNU LGPL 2.1 exactly, as the
>   license on that text requires.

I would add that, if the grant is really a dual-licensing scheme (that
is to say: the recipient may choose whichever license he/she likes best,
out of the two being offered), then the LGPL may be dropped entirely.

After all, the 3-clause BSD license is way more permissive than the
LGPL and does not include any restriction not present in the LGPL.
As a consequence, I would say that offering the LGPL as a second choice
is totally moot, once you have already offered the 3-clause BSD license
as a first choice...

> As it stands, despite these ambiguities and errors which should be
> corrected: I think any recipient of this work has full exercise of the
> DFSG freedoms under either of the licenses dual-granted.

I agree.

Thanks for the accurate analysis, Ben.
Bye.

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/frx-gpg-key-transition-2010.txt
 New GnuPG key, see the transition document!