Re: [License-review] Chroma license / United States Government Contract

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 07:59:14AM +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> Andreas Cadhalpun <andreas.cadhalpun@googlemail.com> writes:

> > Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that if one uses the source of a
> > GPL licensed program to build another program, this has to be
> > distributed under the GPL as well. (Section 2. b) of the GPL)

> That's roughly correct; the act which requires licensing the whole work
> under GPL is to distribute a “derivative work” of the prior GPL-licensed
> work; see <URL:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derivative_work>.

> The corollary is that if the derived work is not distributed under terms
> compatible with the GPL, the recipient has *no* effective license in
> the work – and, indeed, the party redistributing has no license to do
> so, and is themselves violating the GPL of the prior work.

> > If that is true, is it allowed to simply use the chroma source, as if
> > the COPYING contained the GPL v2, or is it necessary to contact the
> > author of chroma and request a change of the COPYING file?

> If their work is derived from a work they received under GPL, then
> “chroma” may be redistributed only under GPL-compatible terms (e.g., the
> GPL itself), otherwise they are violating copyright on the GPL-licensed
> work and “chroma” recipients have no effective license.

There is no credible legal theory that would hold that the source of chroma
is a derivative work of the bundled GPL sources.

There is only an issue with distributing the bundled work if you distribute
it as a binary.

So this makes the package undistributable for Debian, but not necessarily
for upstream.