Re: [License-review] Chroma license / United States Government Contract

On 16.12.2013 21:59, Ben Finney wrote:
That's roughly correct; the act which requires licensing the whole work
under GPL is to distribute a “derivative work” of the prior GPL-licensed
work; see <URL:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derivative_work>.

They distribute source tarballs of chroma [1] including the other_libs directory with the GPL v2 COPYING file, which I think they have no right to do under a license different from GPL v2. (They also had shipped .rpm and .deb files in the past.) But are they allowed to provide the git repository, that does not contain the other_libs directory?

Probably one should contact the author about this license issue. From the git commits I infer that this would be:
Robert Edwards <edwards@jlab.org>

Could you do this, as I feel, I don't have enough legal knowledge to write a proper mail about this.

Best regards,
Andreas

1: http://usqcd.jlab.org/usqcd-software/chroma/