[License-review] Chroma license / United States Government Contract

Hi,

I'm using the Chroma software for lattice QCD simulations [1]. In the past I downloaded the source code from git (e.g. [2]) and compiled the binaries on my machine, but I think it would be nice to have a Debian package for it.

The paper about chroma [3] states that "Chroma is an open source C++ based software system".

The license distributed through git is the file COPYING (attached).
Not being a lawyer I don't feel competent to judge, whether this license is DFSG-free or not, so I'm asking for your opinion.

Furthermore, the webpage [1] has a section about 'Must Cite Papers'. I'm not sure if that is not DFSG-free, or even legally binding, since this is not distributed with the source.

Please let me know your thoughts about this.

Best regards,
Andreas

1: http://usqcd.jlab.org/usqcd-docs/chroma/
2: git://git.jlab.org/pub/lattice/usqcd/chroma.git
3: http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-lat/0409003v1
		            COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE

Copyright (c) 1995,1996   Southeastern Universities Research Association
		          Continuous Electron Beam Accelerator Facility
			  12000 Jefferson Avenue, Newport News, VA 23606

This material resulted from work developed under a United States Government
Contract and is subject to the following license:

The Government retains a paid-up, nonexclusive, irrevocable worldwide license
to reproduce, prepare derivative works, perform publicly and display publicly
by or for the Government including the right to distribute to other Government
contractors.

                  DISCLAIMER AND LIMITATION OF WARRANTY.

         ALL SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY. THERE
         ARE NO WARRANTIES EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING ANY IMPLIED
         WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
         PURPOSE. THERE IS NO WARRANTY THAT USE WILL NOT INFRINGE
         ANY PATENT, COPYRIGHT OR TRADEMARK.

In consideration of the use of the software and other materials, user agrees
that neither the Government nor SURA/TJNAF will be liable for any damages with
respect to such use, and user shall hold both the Government and SURA/TJNAF
harmless from and indemnify them against any and all liability for damages
arising out of the use of such software and other materials. In no event shall
the Government or SURA/TJNAF be liable whether arising under contract, tort,
strict liability or otherwise for any incidental, indirect or consequential
loss or damage of any nature arising at any time from any cause whatsoever. In
addition, the Government and SURA/TJNAF assume no obligation for defending
against third party claims or threats of claims arising as a result of user's
use of the software or materials either as delivered to user or as modified by
user.