Re: Creative Commons 4.0 licenses published

<kuno <at> frob.nl> writes:
> On 28.11.2013 13:27, Charles Plessy wrote:
> >> This is not a good idea: CC0 is up for a rework too, they
> >> just decided to get CC 4.0 out of the door first, and the
> >> current CC0 version is *explicitly* discouraged for use
> >> with software.

I was recommending CC0 instead of one of the other CC licenses, ie for
things I'd expect people to use CC licenses for. None of them should be used
for software. Perhaps I should have discussed this explicitly in the post,
though the post concludes by saying CC0 isn't perfect, linking to another
post <http://gondwanaland.com/mlog/2012/02/25/permissions/> discussing this.

http://projects.opensource.org/pipermail/license-review/2012-February/000092.html

> The most important issue IIRC is that it specifically does NOT license
> patents.  Licenses suitable for software either explicitly give you a
> patent license (for those patents which are owned by the copyright
> holder(s)), or don't mention patents at all, in which case you may be
> able to argue in court that a patent license was implied.

Indeed.

Mike