Re: Berkeley DB 6.0 license change to AGPLv3

On Tue, 2013-07-02 at 09:44 +0200, Ondřej Surý wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Florian Weimer has correctly pointed out that Oracle has decided to
> change the BDB 6.0 license to AGPLv3
> (https://oss.oracle.com/pipermail/bdb/2013-June/000056.html). This
> hasn't been reflected in release tarball (probably by mistake), but
> since the AGPLv3 is not very friendly to downstream projects, we (as
> the Debian project) need to take a decision.
>
> My opinion is that this Oracle move just sent the Berkeley DB to
> oblivion, and Berkeley DB will be less and less used (or replaced by
> something else).

If the relicensing is real and not another misconfiguration of the
build/release system (like with MySQL docs), this sounds like a
shakedown for proprietary users of Berkeley DB.  GPLv2-licensed users
are collateral damage.

> What we can do right now (more can apply):
[...]
> [ ] Keep db5.3 forever

Well, indefinitely.  But I somewhat expect some BSD developers to try
maintaining a fork of it, as they're very unlikely to be happy with
AGPLv3.

> [ ] Suck it and relicense the downstream software as appropriate
[...]

GPLv3 is compatible with almost all common licences except GPLv2 (though
that might not be true with the additional conditions of AGPLv3).  If
anyone has made a decision to use GPLv2-only then I wouldn't expect them
to relicense for this.  Therefore a BSD-licensed libdb is still needed.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Life would be so much easier if we could look at the source code.