"dissident test" has been proven wrong and should not be used any more

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 09:18:42AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Le Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 01:25:21PM +0100, Steve McIntyre a écrit :
> > Chris wrote:
> > >
> > >I think this clause in the license absolutely fails the dissident test
> >
> > Please point to the DFSG section that mentions the "dissident test".
>
> Hi Steve,
>
> I think that the "dissident test" and others are indirectly mentionned to
> everyone who wants to join Debian:
>
> http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/nm/trunk/nm-templates/nm_pp1.txt?revision=1246&view=markup
>
> 60 	PH7. How do you check if a license is DFSG-compatible?
> 61
> 62 	PH8. There are a few "tests" for this purpose, based on (not really) common
> 63 	situations. Explain them to me and point out which common problems can
> 64 	be discovered by them.

Agh ... who added this ... test should be done only to DFSG.  The
proposed "dissident test" does not work and is proven to be wrong in
some cases already.

> I do not find these tests particularly useful, but as long as they are promoted
> this way, we are likely to see people using them on this lit.

Some people (Henning Makholm et al.) were on debian-legal around 2003
using this "dissident tests" to shoot down many non-GLP/BSD licenced
packages.  Please note some of the casualities such as ipadic were later
accepted to Debian main with some efforts.

I hope my summary page gives good idea what has been.

  http://wiki.debian.org/IpadicLicense

As I noted there, such extreme interpretation of license text can yield
GPL2.0 to violate DFSG #5.

I think after he failed to shootdown OpenOffice for its licence, he
became quiet.  If we followed such tests by him, we would not have
LibreOffice either now.

> If you think they create more noise than signal, perhaps you or others can
> consider asking for a change to the NM templates via a bug reported to
> nm.debian.org.

I agree.

I think we should clean some wiki-pages holding such extreme positions.

Osamu