Re: Java3D license incompatible with DFSG?

On Sat, 15 Sep 2012, Steve Langasek wrote:
* You acknowledge that this software is not designed, licensed or
* intended for use in the design, construction, operation or
* maintenance of any nuclear facility.
This is a standard "No warranty" clause wrt nuclear facilities in the US.
It is not a restriction placed on the use of the software in nuclear
facilities by the copyright holder, it is a CYA statement that the software
has not been approved *by the government regulatory agencies* for use in
nuclear facilities in the US.

Stuff like this has puzzled me.  I would think that "in order to use this
software, you must do something which would have the effect of disadvantaging
yourself in a lawsuit" wouldn't be considered free.  A statement "you must
acknowledge X" means that any user who wants to claim not-X in court is
forced to drop that claim in order to use the software.

If this is a statement that the software hasn't been approved, shouldn't it
say "you acknowledge that we *claim* X" (thus not depriving the user of the
opportunity to challenge X in court), and not "you acknowledge X"?