Re: New package algol68toc: terms of the copyright.

On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 7:19 AM, Christofer C. Bell wrote:

> I'd not be so quick to retract those comments!  I agree it fails the
> dissident test.  One is not able to contribute anonymously.  You must
> identify the organization you are a part of (and what is an
> "organization," anyway?).  And what do you do if you're not part of an
> organization?  Are you required to identify yourself?
>
> If one must identify themselves a part of "freedom fighters, inc."
> they open themselves to their changes being traced back to them along
> with a flag on them saying, "I'm a freedom fighter."  If they are not
> part of an organization, but other  "freedom fighter" organizations
> are a part of the project, they become tied to those (perhaps, in the
> eyes of the government) through their explicit association with the
> project.
>
> I think this clause in the license absolutely fails the dissident test
> because there is no way for someone to contribute anonymously, and, on
> the face of it, no way to contribute without being a member of an
> organization, a term the license fails to define.

The item in question doesn't say which name should be added, nor who
the name should be revealed to. The modifier could add a pseudonym
instead of the name they are known as by the government and or simply
not distribute the program to anyone they do not trust.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise