Re: "Minimized" JavaScript in upstream tarball

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Dmitry Nezhevenko <dion@inhex.net> wrote:

> Upstream distributes in both "source" and "minimized" forms:
>
> http://masonry.desandro.com/jquery.masonry.min.js
> https://github.com/desandro/masonry/blob/master/jquery.masonry.js
>
> How this particular file should be handled? The only idea I've is to
> remove this file in my get-git-snapshot-source step and download "right"
> one instead.

I don't see anything wrong with either file.  It's under an MIT (i.e.;
free) license and it's human readable source code.  It's not even
"obfuscated" -- it's just missing whitespace.  I ran the "obfuscated"
version through JSBeautifier[1] and got something that looks like the
"non-obfuscated" version[2].

[1] http://jsbeautifier.org/
[2] http://paste.debian.net/165689/

While it may be ugly, it's certainly easy to clean up.  I don't know
if there are any pretty printers in Debian for JavaScript but someone
with a text editor can easily re-insert the whitespace without too
much trouble.  How does this "obfuscation" (I use quotes because I
don't believe it's obfuscated) prevent its inclusion in Debian
directly?  Why does special consideration need to be made for this
file?

--
Chris