Re: Do you consider charity shops non commercial?

Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org>
> This is the relevant section of the CC NC licenses:
>
> You may not exercise any of the rights granted to You in Section 3
> above in any manner that is primarily intended for or directed toward
> commercial advantage or private monetary compensation. The exchange of
> the Work for other copyrighted works by means of digital file-sharing
> or otherwise shall not be considered to be intended for or directed
> toward commercial advantage or private monetary compensation, provided
> there is no payment of any monetary compensation in connection with
> the exchange of copyrighted works.
>
> It sounds to me that there is no risk of you infringing that section
> since your playing of music will not require payment.

To the contrary, I suggest that this use of music is primarily
directed toward commercial advantage, by making the shops a more
pleasant place for shoppers and thereby selling more, so I think it
does risk infringing.

Charity shops are blatently commercial (and are often operated by
unrestricted trading companies, rather than the actual charities),
even though they do good things with their profits.

Like others have suggested: it's best to ask a lawyer and/or the
licensor.  I think there used to be a Law Works scheme for UK
charities and their trading arms to get free advice.

I'd also expect the various obnoxious UK monopolies like the PRS to
take a keen interest in this matter and probably hassle you like they
do most other businesses, so it's best to be sure of the reasoning
behind the decision.

Not sure that this is really a question about debian though.

Hope that informs,
--
MJR/slef