Re: foremost package - Licence of debian/* files

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 09:33:06PM +0200, Francesco Poli wrote:
> Hi,
> I see [1] that the package is currently public domain, except for a
> couple of files, which are instead copyrighted and released under the
> terms of the GNU GPL v2 or later.
>
> [1] http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/f/foremost/current/copyright

Yes, that's right. Concerning that topic, I've emailed upstream maintainers
because the software is said to be in public domain, but file extract.c has a
copyright line.

> Hence I wonder: why would you want to gratuitously restrict the whole
> package to GPL-3+ just because of debian/* ?
> I would suggest licensing debian/* files under GPL-2+ for consistency
> with the packaged work.

I'm not an expert in licences, that's why I CC-ed debian-legal. I really
appreciate your suggestions and, if former maintainers agree, GPL-2+ is the
licence I will grant to debian/* files.

PS: Please, CC me because I am not in debian-legal mailing list.