Re: Non-free postscript code in EPS image

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 2:39 AM, Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> wrote:

> Bart Martens <bartm@debian.org> writes:
>
> > On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 01:29:52PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > > The sensible *default* assumption is that when an upstream asserts
> > > that the license on their work is $foo, they know what they're
> > > talking about
> >
> > Yes, "on their work".
> >
> > > even when portions are copyright other people/entities.
> >
> > No, this is not a sensible default assumption.
>
> I agree with the distinction Bart is drawing here.

While that distinction may hold in the general case, it is nonsensical
in this case.  It is nonsensical to assume, by default, that an EPS
image produced by Adobe Illustrator cannot be distributed in whatever
manner the creator desires unencumbered by any copyright assertions by
Adobe on embedded PostScript.

In fact, this FAQ entry from Adobe's site[1] implies redistribution of
user created content:

"What is Adobe® Illustrator® CS6 and who is it for?

Adobe Illustrator CS6 is the industry-standard vector graphics
software, used worldwide by designers of all types who want to create
digital graphics, illustrations, and typography for all kinds of
media: print, web, interactive, video, and mobile."

[1] http://www.adobe.com/products/illustrator/faq.html

Take this sample document I crated in Microsoft Word for Mac 2011:

athena:Documents cbell$ strings Manuscript\ Template.docx | grep opy
Copyright 2007 Apple Inc., all rights reserved.
athena:Documents cbell$

Are we honestly to believe that this document, the authorship of which
is entirely mine, cannot be redistributed by me because Apple holds a
copyright to it?  That makes no sense whatsoever.

--
Chris