Re: Open-source library proxying to a closed-source library (ITP #679504)

On Sat, 7 Jul 2012 18:48:47 +0200 Christophe-Marie Duquesne wrote:

[...]
> On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 5:03 PM, Francesco Poli
> <invernomuto@paranoici.org> wrote:
> > I am sorry to say this, but I think that the time of a competent
> > developer would be far better spent in writing Free Software, rather
> > than in building "proxies" having the sole purpose of making it easier
> > to use proprietary software...   :-(
>
> I understand your point. Let me elaborate about this:
[...]

Point taken, thanks for the explanation, I now understand your goal
better (even though I must admit that I am not 100 % sure that it's the
best possible strategy...).

> > It could *maybe* qualify for the contrib archive [2], as long as it is
> > determined to be (legally redistributable and)
>
> Who would determine whether it is legally redistributable?

The ultimate decision on what will or will not be distributed by Debian
is up to the FTP Masters (possibly after consultation with other
bodies, including the Debian-legal mailing list).

> > (even though I see that it is licensed under the terms of the EPL, a
> > license that I personally dislike...).
>
> The EPL is the license recommended by coin-or [2] where I intend to
> submit my project. I would be happy to relicense my work differently
> as long as the new license is approved by the open source initiative
> (coin-or requirement) and as it makes it possible to link Osi with it.
>
> [1]: http://scip.zib.de/
> [2]: http://www.coin-or.org/contributions.html

I would personally recommend a simpler license, such as the Expat license:
http://www.jclark.com/xml/copying.txt
also known as the MIT license:
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/MIT

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/frx-gpg-key-transition-2010.txt
 New GnuPG key, see the transition document!