Re: filebench: bison generated parser + CDDL

Hi Mark!

Am Montag, 7. Mai 2012 schrieb Mark Weyer:
> > As far as I understand CDDL-1 and GPL are not compatible, but when I
> > read this special exception correctly, in the case that no new
> > parser generator is done any terms, any license can be used for the
> > resulting work.
>
> Just a quick note: If you are right about the incompatibility of CDDL-1
> and GPLv3 (others on this list will know if you are), then the
> combined work is non-free: Its license terms discriminate against a
> field of endeavour, namely developing a parser generator.

I don´t understand this.

I understand the exception

| As a special exception, you may create a larger work that contains
| part or all of the Bison parser skeleton and distribute that work
| under terms of your choice, so long as that work isn't itself a
| parser generator using the skeleton or a modified version thereof
| as a parser skeleton.  Alternatively, if you modify or redistribute
| the parser skeleton itself, you may (at your option) remove this
| special exception, which will cause the skeleton and the resulting
| Bison output files to be licensed under the GNU General Public
| License without this special exception.

so that it allows distributing the software under any other license as
long as the generated parser isn´t a parser generator in itself.

I don´t think that the parser in here is a parser generator. As far as I
understand parser_gram.c and parser_gram.h just parses loadable workload
descriptions.

Thanks,