Re: Using freetranslation.mobi to translate

Regarding the license requirements of Google Translator, I would say they
already have the rights to "use, host, store, reproduce, modif" etc. under
the GPL-2, so that should not be a problem. Despite the wording of the
agreement, your obligation of ensuring Google is free to do what it wants to
with that piece of text is duly fulfilled.

As for the resulting translations, it is undisputed that they constitute the
product of a computer algorithm, generated in a completely automated manner.
That is not, for the purposes of intellectual property law, an intellectual
work or human creation, thus falling outside of the scope of copyright
protection. At least this is my understanding of the Berne Convention (1971),
the TRIPS Agreement and the national laws of the jurisdiction I am licensed to
practice law in.

Everyone is welcome to disagree, though. This is just my two cents.

Guilherme de Siqueira Pastore
gpastore@debian.org