Re: license question

If, on contact, his goal is just wide-openness delivered in an
eccentric license, then I would recommend the WTFPL v2 located at
http://sam.zoy.org/wtfpl/ which basically says you can do anything you
want to with the software. Its an eccentric license that is Debian
compliant, and wide open. Otherwise, I'd probably point them in the
direction of the BSD or zlib licenses, which are wide open as well,
but more well known.

If he doesn't want to part with his license, you could also try to ask
for him to dual license as a last resort. His license along side a
DFSG license, such that person receiving the software can choose
either... that may work.

If they don't wish to relicense or dual license with a Debian friendly
alternative, then yes, reimplementation under a better license.