Re: Third party code license issue

Paul Elliott, 2012-03-04 09:37+0100:
> But because of nihilism of our times, the courts are unlikely to interpret
> "Good and Evil". The clause should be taken as an exhortation rather than a
> legal requirement. In our times, those who favor Good over Evil should be
> encouraged rather than discouraged. They should be given every benefit of
> doubt.

Since that clause uses the verb “shall”, it is intended as an
obligation. If it is too vague, or too whatever to be usable in a court,
then it is just a very bad one. If the goal was to encourage people to
do Good, or to send a postcard to the author, or to sacrifice a goose,
then their would be no problem writing something like:
    The Software should be used for Good, not for Evil.
    You are encouraged to send a postcard to the Author.
    The Author would be pleased if you sacrificed a goose.

--
 ,--.
: /` )   Tanguy Ortolo <xmpp:tanguy@ortolo.eu> <irc://irc.oftc.net/Tanguy>
| `-'    Debian Developer